Anti social behaviour Scotland

We take anti-social behaviour very seriously.

When you become a customer you agree not to cause nuisance, distress, annoyance, or harassment to neighbours. You are also responsible for the behaviour of all members of your household and any visitors.

We define anti-social behaviour as an activity which has a negative impact on other people and interferes with people's rights to live peacefully in their homes and surrounding areas.

We take community safety seriously and have standards for dealing with anti-social behaviour.

Report anti-social behaviour

You should report any issues to your housing officer. We investigate all reports of anti-social behaviour.

If you are reporting something that we don't consider to be anti-social behaviour, such as general household noise, we will give advice and consider mediation, but will not open an anti-social behaviour case.

Response times

  • Get back to you on the same day if you report serious anti-social behaviour or harassment, for example where violence, including domestic abuse and hate crime, is involved
  • Get back to you within 5 working days for all other cases.
  • Resolve the case for you within 28 days.
  • Keep you informed during our investigations
  • Take appropriate action on a case-by-case basis
  • Let you know the outcome

How we can help

There are a range of things we may be able to do to help those affected by anti-social behaviour.

If the problem is being caused by one of our tenants, we may:

  • Issue verbal and written warnings
  • Make referrals to mediation services
  • Set up Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs)
  • Consider legal action or eviction if we cannot resolve the problem in any other way

We will work with the council, the police and other agencies if the person causing the problem is not our tenant.

You should always report serious anti-social or criminal behaviour to the police. Or you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Harassment causes alarm and distress. It is usually more deliberate and targeted than anti-social behaviour. We take any form of harassment very seriously and will investigate any reports. Please contact your housing officer.

Noise nuisance

If you're experiencing loud noise on a regular basis, try speaking to your neighbour first. Sometimes people don't realise how much noise they are making. They might not even realise they are causing a nuisance to others. Let your housing officer know if things don't improve.

Some councils have a quick response out-of-hours noise team. They can issue fines if noise is at an unacceptable level. They can also confiscate equipment like stereos if things don't improve.

You can also call the police about anti-social noise.

Drug dealing

Drug dealing is a serious crime. You should report it immediately to the police and your housing officer. Or if you want to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Manage your cookies

We use cookies to analyse and personalise your experience on our website and to help improve its performance. By clicking ‘Accept all’ you agree to our use of cookies, or click 'Manage cookies' to personalise them.

To learn more about how we use cookies, please see in our cookie policy.