It’s Gas Safety Week - 19-25 September

Gas Safety Week takes place every year to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause fires, explosions and carbon monoxide leaks.

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. Thousands of people are diagnosed with potentially deadly carbon monoxide poisoning every year due to faulty appliances.

It's important that you check your gas appliances regularly and take care of them properly. Follow our safety tips below to keep you and your family safe.

Top tips:

  • Did you know your gas cooker could be a source of carbon monoxide emissions? Make sure new cookers are installed by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and get your gas cooker serviced regularly.
     
  • Don't block air vents in a room with a gas fire, as this can increase the chances of dangerous carbon monoxide emissions. If the gas fire belongs to you, it's your responsibility to have it safety checked every year.
     
  • Recognise the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. If you think you may be affected, see your doctor or go to hospital immediately.
     
  • Buy a carbon monoxide alarm and place it near your boiler or other gas appliances. If it goes off and doesn't stop, make sure all your appliances are turned off and call the Gas Emergency Service (24 hours) on 0800 111 999.
     
  • If you can smell gas, there could be a leak. Make sure all your appliances are turned off and call the Gas Emergency Service (24 hours) on 0800 111 999.

Find out more about staying gas safe on the Gas Safe Register's website.

19 September 2016